Monday 28 May 2012

Four Meetings and an Induction

Yes, it has certainly been a week of meetings, starting with the local branch, which is where Labour Party members who live in the ward get together each month.  A bit strange as I’m used to going to these in my own ward, Castle, and technically speaking as I don’t live in Townhill - the ward I represent covering Townhill, Mayhill and Gors - I can’t take part, at least not voting.  But I was still made welcome and was able to show them the literature I’d started to introduce, like Birthday Cards for all 18 year olds.  One of my aims is to try and re-engage people in ‘politics’, to get them to take an interest in where they live, their neighbours, their community, get them to vote, even if they spoil their ballot papers.  Quite a challenge I know and I’m not expecting any overnight success whatsoever.  But if you don’t try then you definitely wont succeed! 

So where else have I been?
- final induction session (for now at least) this time looking at the councillor handbook, which provided lots more on practical help for us as councillors
- another Labour Group meeting, more or less to finalise chair, secretary etc who will then run it on a day to day basis
Phoenix Centre
- then full council meeting, Annual Meeting no less, which was possibly the politest political meeting I have ever been to, probably because mainly just confirmed decisions that had already been agreed; no doubt will be the last time that happens!
- and finally the Hill Community Development Trust meeting, which sort of does what ‘it says on the tin’, held in the Phoenix Centre; again made to feel very welcome but took a back seat for this, my first, meeting.


With luck next week will be a bit quieter – somewhere along the line I really do need to get back to business, my business that is!

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment