Monday 2 July 2012

Variety is the spice of life, but you can have too much of it!

A week of many things – and that was just council work!

Monday – attended ‘Fly the Flag for the Armed Forces’ – one of many such ceremonies all over the UK in the past week.  Like many others I see war as the most utterly stupid way to settle an argument, apart from the fact that at the end of a conflict there may well be millions dead or maimed, most of them totally innocent.  But I also understand that the majority of those people who do go and fight risk their lives on our behalf, and a lot come home traumatised, and/or wounded, or in a box.
I then went to have a chat with my Chief Whip – rather wonderful as it is now a ‘she’ after years (probably decades!) of having a man.  Some of you I’m sure are familiar with the term, but maybe not so aware that as well as keeping us all towing the line – going to meetings, voting the right way etc – they are also there to give support, particularly with the mechanics & machinations of council meetings. 

Tuesday – started off by visiting a constituent looking to transfer to another area, then home to learn about election data input so it can be used for instance to help in campaigning to get more people to vote, or find out why they don’t.  And finished off with a very useful catch-up with one of my fellow ward councillors.

Wednesday – trawled through a number of e-mails giving dates of future meetings.  You may recall I was getting a bit inundated with information during the induction period.  I now see that was nothing compared with some of the agendas and associated paperwork I’m now getting - paperless office, ha ha!  Before all those 'greens' out there start muttering may I add that I print off as little as possible, and use scrap where I can without compromising confidentiality, but it's the nature of the beast.
After wading through all that had a meeting later in the day looking at how future work will be aimed at helping with some of the issues in my ward, amongst others, and how it is going to be managed.  It’s a daunting task and it’s easy to feel you are only scratching the surface at some of the problems, but when I stop wallowing whatever I can do is better than doing nothing.

Thursday – a slight lull in the proceedings (including a very pleasant lunch date with Jeff) but the rest I was keeping up with yet more meeting dates and the requisit paperwork (as well as actually doing some ‘work’ work!)

Friday – work took a proper hold as I had a deadline to meet which meant missing a meeting ‘on the Hill’.  But as it happens I’ve been getting quite a lot of background information on part of this group’s remit, and will certainly try to keep on top of its activities even if I can't always get there.

I used to be a Wimbledon fanatic, not so much these days.  But I did manage to find some time to watch some great play.  After all, all council and no play would make me a very dull girl indeed!

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment