Thursday 5 November 2015

Non stop!

OK so it wasn't non-stop just because of my work as a councillor but then we all have our own lives to lead.  I'm sure I've said this before, but it's worth saying again - to be a good councillor you must have a life outside.  That said I must admit I've been having a bit too much 'life' and have lately looked again at reducing my other activities.  But I've still had a number of tasks all falling in October - my business tax return, dealing with year end as treasurer for a business group, and preparing questions & running an annual quiz.  Yet looking through my diary I also managed to squeeze in a number of council activities.

The recurring theme this month has been children and education.

Firstly I went to an art exhibition at the National Waterfront Museum mainly the work of primary schools.  It never ceases to amaze me how good children's artwork can be.  I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again, one should never underestimate kids!


Then half way through the month I attended a full governor's meeting at Dylan Thomas School.  Whilst having been on that governing body a while I am still learning the ropes as far as secondary schools are concerned.  Later in November I will be getting training on statistics by going to a session on Understanding Data which should help.

Also I know I've mentioned the Cabinet Advisory committees that I am on.  These have been rejigged and one I am now on is looking at ways of helping all children leave school prepared & ready to going into work, or take up further training, or get involved in something with purpose.  The meeting in the latter part of October looked at how we should do this piece of work, and who to ask for advice & information.  Whilst there will always young people who when they leave school fall through the net I hope we can at least come up with some suggestions to reduce the number which do.

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment