Thursday 3 March 2016

Never a dull moment

As well as formal council meetings there are of course plenty of other ones that I can attend.  I have probably mentioned before that as a 'back bencher' ie not being a cabinet member, I am able to choose scrutiny groups where the topic is something I want to have a say in.  Lately I have been going along to discuss the issue tethered horses, and how best to resolve the plight of those horses where they are not being looked after.  A very emotive topic as you can imagine.

Another 'meeting' in February was in fact a celebration of Townhill Library, based in the Phoenix Centre.  They have been there 15 years, ever since the centre was opened.  It was a joy to hear singing by children from Townhill School, and poetry from Poets on the Hill.

And February is the month where the full council decides on the budget.
  Now that really is a test of stamina, although this year not quite so long as has been the case, a mere 3 and a half hours!  To make the event more interesting there was a protest outside, but I have to say it was the nicest one I have ever encountered.  Through the efforts of the young people gathered there we enjoyed some great music - a refreshing way to start any meeting!

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment