Friday 4 September 2015

Not so quiet

I've mentioned many in previous blogs, but as well as actual council arranged meetings there are usually a lot more that councillors can go to, some looking at specific projects.   We have two ongoing at the moment that will I hope benefit the ward and all communities in those areas.  Interestingly both overlap with our neighbouring Castle ward.

Those of you who know Swansea may well know the Boys & Girls club which technically is in Castle ward but actually right on the border with Townhill.  Castle Cllr David Phillips has been working on this for years, and his hard work appears to have paid off as at long last the building looks like it will be brought back into use by the Boys & Girls Club of Wales.   A very good public meeting was held mid August where the architects provided impressions of what it could look like.  And whilst reservations were raised, all being quite valid concerns that will need to be addressed, the general consensus seemed very positive.  It's still very early days but a good start none the less.

And let me tell you a bit more about Mayhill "Washing" Pond, which is just up
the hill from Castle ward's North Hill Road.  It's so called because historically people would do their washing there.  Some people have been using it as a dumping ground for their rubbish, either through not knowing better or simply not caring.  However, as mentioned in my last blog, local residents, councillors in both wards, and Communities 1st, have all been looking to assure it's long term future as a family picnic spot.  There will be a public meeting in September to help take this forward.
 

On another tack, people often ask me if we councillors have a summer break.  It's certainly true that things quieten down but in fact meetings continue throughout, and I make a point of not taking a break from doing my monthly surgery.  I's a very useful way for me to meet people, as well as it being a place for them to air their issues, and it makes sense to me that if the poster says 'every month' then it should be so.  And has it happened August's was one of my busiest!

Les

No comments:

Post a Comment